Friday, December 12, 2008

Tech Net Notes December 5, 2008


Editors Note: I know I'm not getting a lot of the answers right, so if you answerred and see that I did not get what you were saying, please leave a comment and I will correct the answer on the post.


1. kd5njr, Scott asks, "When exactly are you supposed to use a balun?"

ae5hq, "On ladder line feeding a dipole, you don't need a balun because it is balanced. On coax line feeding a dipole, you need a balun"

ww5wow, 300 to 1000 ohm use 4:1, you can use 6 turns of coax as a balance. On a wire fed antenna you need to bring a 300 or 450 ohm antenna down to 50 ohm, it is then that a 4:1 balun will be needed. Otherwise to make the transition from ladder line to coax a 1:1 balun will need to be used.

k5zdp, 4:1 is used to change the characteristics of the antenna to keep the signal off the shield.

kd5zve, Jimmy says, "Antenna modeling software is found by googling eznec and learning more about baluns.

2. ke5lep, Stan asks, "How do I get my Kenwood MC-57DM microphone to work in DTMF mode with my Kewood TS-2000 radio?"




3. ke5lnn, Dave asks, "When I have my mobile radio on scan mode and engage my automobile cruise control, the radio scan is interrupted. How do I fix it?"



4. w5amr, John asks, "APRS, on the receive side, I have never been able to get any of the software to show me a map of the location of the transmitters."

ww5wow, Larry - If you don't have a program to receive RF signals, you're not going to get anything from them.

ke5lep, Stan , "I can't contribute to your answer, but leave it as a comment and maybe we can get an answer." I am looking at www.openaprs.net, a website that has software that shows the radios by zipcode.

Software found by googling eznec

ae5jc, Bob says, "Try winaprs, www.winaprs.com, links to maps that can be downloaded for that."

1 comment:

Stan(KE5LEP) said...

My DTMF problem is resolved.

I had not keyed the DTMF keys with the Push to Talk button.

Without pushing "Push to Talk" it doesn't work on my Kenwood TS-2000.

It works fine now.